On 2/6/24 04:28, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 10:28:53PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
Continuing from above in Vim in Insert mode, if I then simultaneously press
the Ctrl, Shift, and v keys, and then release all keys, Vim inserts the
contents of the clipboard; as confirmed by:

     xclip -o -selection CLIPBOARD

How's that possible?

Thank you for the reply.  :-)

Apparently, something in the 920M bytes of my boot file system and/or in the 8009M bytes of my root file system make it possible.

Are you running a GUI version of vim (gvim?)

No.

instead of running vim in a terminal?

I am running Vim in Terminal.

Or are you using an exotic terminal?

I do not believe so.

If you're using a terminal that isn't xterm, please specify which.

I used the Xfce Panel Preferences dialog to create a Launcher item with one Terminal Emulator item:

Name:                   Terminal Emulator
Comment:                Use the command line
Command:                exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator
Working Directory:
Icon:                   org.xfce.terminalemulator
    checked             Use startup notification
    unchecked           Run in terminal

I click on the panel icon to start Terminal.

In xterm and urxvt, Ctrl-Shift-v is identical to Ctrl-v ("literal
next"), so there's no way vim can distinguish the two.  And yes, I
tested it just to be sure.  In both xterm and urxvt, vim, insert > mode,
Ctrl-Shift-v acts exactly like Ctrl-v.

I am seeing similar behavior:

This applies in general to *any* issue that involves exotic key
combinations, because different terminals handle them differently.

Okay.

David