On 2/8/24 15:36, Linux-Fan wrote:
Alexander V. Makartsev writes:

On 08.02.2024 12:14, gene heskett wrote:
gene@coyote:/etc$ sudo smartctl --all -dscsi /dev/sdm
smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.1.0-17-rt-amd64] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, <URL:http://www.smartmontools.org>www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:
Product:              SSD 3.0

[...]

Looks like a scam. Probably a reprogrammed controller to falsely report 2TB of space to the system.

I support this view :)

This is how I would test it.
First create a new GPT partition table and a new 2TB partition:
    $ sudo gdisk /dev/sdX

/!\  Make double sure you've selected the right device by using "lsblk" and "blkid" utilities.  /!\ /!\                            It could change from 'sdm' to another name after reboot.                              /!\

At gdisk prompt press "o" to create a new GPT table, next press "n" to create a new partition, accept default values by pressing "enter". To verify setup press "p", to accept configuration and write it to device press "w".

Next format partition to ext4 filesystem:
    $ sudo mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -e remount-ro /dev/sdX1

Next mount the filesystem:
    $ sudo mkdir /mnt/disktest
    $ sudo mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt/disktest

Next create reference 1GB file filled with dummy data:
    $ cd /mnt/disktest

From here on I'd suggest trying the tools from package `f3`.

After installing it, find the documentation under
/usr/share/doc/f3/README.rst.gz. Basic usage requires only two commands:

     f3write .

Which has now stopped after severa hours of quitelatharic speeds in the 20m/second are, showing a litle over 1.5%. The bash shell shows it has written:
ree space: 1.87 TB
Creating file 1.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 2.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 3.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 4.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 5.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 6.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 7.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 8.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 9.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 10.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 11.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 12.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 13.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 14.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 15.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 16.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 17.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 18.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 19.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 20.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 21.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 22.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 23.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 24.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 25.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 26.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 27.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 28.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 29.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 30.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 31.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 32.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 33.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 34.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 35.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 36.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 37.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 38.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 39.h2w ... 1.98% -- 1.90 MB/s -- 257:11:32

but is taking a few bytes now and then. I 'd thing if f3write was having a problem, it would exist with a report. An ls -l in another shell took about two minutes to respond:
gene@coyote:/mnt/disktest$ ls -l
total 40627044
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:49 10.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:51 11.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:59 12.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 06:16 13.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 06:25 14.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 06:33 15.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 06:44 16.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 06:45 17.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 06:57 18.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 07:06 19.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:22 1.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 07:16 20.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 07:22 21.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 07:32 22.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 07:35 23.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 07:39 24.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 07:50 25.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 08:09 26.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 08:19 27.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 08:29 28.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 08:31 29.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:24 2.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 08:37 30.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 08:57 31.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 09:06 32.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 09:32 33.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 09:42 34.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 10:00 35.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 10:11 36.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root  799719936 Feb 10 10:21 37.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:26 3.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:29 4.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:31 5.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:33 6.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:35 7.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:41 8.h2w
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb 10 05:43 9.h2w
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gene gene        152 Feb  9 16:38 disktest.txt
drwx------ 2 root root      16384 Feb  9 15:26 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb  9 15:42 reftestfile
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1073741824 Feb  9 16:34 testfile
gene@coyote:/mnt/disktest$
gene@coyote:/mnt/disktest$ du -h .
du: cannot read directory './lost+found': Permission denied
16K     ./lost+found
41G     .
gene@coyote:/mnt/disktest$
So for a drive that claims 2T, its not even in the same ballpark as the truth. But 42G used is an odd size indeed for a surplus sd card I'll bet the next one will test differently since they are obviously selling what is a reject from the test line. They are sealed so it would take an xray to see what was in the thing. They are going back, obviously. Sniff.

Fills the drive until it is full (No Space Left on Device). Umount and re-mount it to ensure that data is actually written to the disk. Then switch back to /mnt/disktest and read it back using

     f3read .

It should output a tabular summary about what could be read successfully and what couldn't.

As to whether this affects the stability of the running system: If the drive is fake (which I think is a real possibility) then it may as well cause hickups in the system. If the work you are doing on the machine is mission-critical, don't run tests with suspect hardware on it...

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö

[...]