Franco Martelli (12024-02-13):
> This is useful when it's needed to submit a bug report or to speak with
> other people in one international mailing list like this :) (apropos sorry
> for my English).

Your English does not look bad. And therefore you would probably be
better making this the default. Translations of software are often
mediocre or worse. (I remember when the French translation of df broke
the alignment of columns.) Use the software in its original version and
you will not have to guess if you misunderstood or if the translator
did.

> So the question is: does anybody know if this syntax works on all shells
> other than bash? csh, korn, dash, zsh …

apt-get install csh
csh
LC_CTYPE=C ls /doesnotexist
^D
apt-get purge csh

Repeat with other shells. And then tell us what you found out.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George