On 2/16/24 15:47, Stefan Monnier wrote:
One of the 1T samsungs in the md raid10 isn't entirely happy but mdadm has
not fussed about it, and smartctl seems to say its ok after testing.
  Other than that the gui access delay (30+ seconds) problems I have did
NOT go away when I moved /home off the raid to another SSD, so I may move
it back. One of the reasons I ma rsync'ing this /home back to it every
other day or so, takes < 5 minutes.
Please get a small SSD, do a fresh install, and test for the access delay.
If the delay is not present, incrementally add and test applications.
If you encounter the delay, please stop and post the details; console
sessions are best.  If not, then connect the disks with /home and test.
If you encounter the delay, then please stop and post the details.  If you
do not encounter the delay, then your system is fixed.
Take a Clonezilla image.

FWIW, my crystal ball says "30s => software timeout rather than hardware
problem"

         Stefan

We are on the same page, but what is causing the timeout?
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis