On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 08:18:41PM +0000, debian-u...@howorth.org.uk wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
> > That's all normal and expected.
> >
> > What's odd is that client *actually has* LC_NUMERIC and so on set in
> > its environment.  Which... is not a problem if they're all set to the
> > correct values.  It's weird, but not wrong.  The problem for the OP
> > was that one of the values was not set correctly, or at least not as
> > expected.
>
> It's not weird at all. It's how many people set their machines, when
> they have logical minds and prefer YYYY-MM-DD date format rather than
> the illogical messes most countries have in their locales.

It's weird to set *every* LC_* variable when all you want to change is
LC_TIME.

I personally set LANG and LC_TIME.  But I don't set the others.  Why
would I?  That would be weird.

unicorn:~$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME=C
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

As you can see, the only variables with unquoted, non-empty values are
LANG and LC_TIME.