On 23/02/2024 17:15, Nicolas George wrote:

How do I tell systemd's logging system to keep authentication logs for
one year and mail logs for one month?

I am realizing that the following is not an answer to the asked question. The thread is no more than useless arguing anyway.

Some ideas that might be useful in close cases:
- a bunch of filtering options and --output=export as a part of log rotation to have selective copy of the journal in an alternative directory
- systemd-journald.service(8) ยง JOURNAL NAMESPACES for some services.

P.S.
When I read the question I decided that syslog for auth facility is a kind of solution.