Dear Colleagues,

Has anybody encountered this problem using systemd-resolved as a
resolver on Debian12? A DNS request via systemd-resolved fails, but
fails only occasionally. A failure can happen once per a hundred
successful requests or so. If I run:

while resolvectl query myredis.my.domain ; do sleep 1; done

This will eventually happen:

-- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 960us.
-- Data is authenticated: no; Data was acquired via local or encrypted
transport: no
-- Data from: cache network
myredis.my.domain: x.x.44.189                -- link: ens5
                  (redis-cache2-002.tqma2d.0001.usw2.cache.amazonaws.com)

-- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 1.1ms.
-- Data is authenticated: no; Data was acquired via local or encrypted
transport: no
-- Data from: cache network
myredis.my.domain: x.x.44.189                -- link: ens5
                  (redis-cache2-002.tqma2d.0001.usw2.cache.amazonaws.com)

-- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 2.2ms.
-- Data is authenticated: no; Data was acquired via local or encrypted
transport: no
-- Data from: network
myredis.my.domain: resolve call failed: Lookup failed due to system error:
Invalid argument

Then it works again for a hundred or so queries. Query monitoring
shows that systemd-resolved occasionally returns "EINVAL", but mostly
"success".

Any ideas please? It is very unpleasant because the AWS Debian AMI has
systemd-resolved as the default caching resolver and it will take some
effort to eradicate it and replace with unbound or something else.

I don't blame the parent DNS server (from AWS) because if I query it
directly, it always answers.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/