On 3/7/24 21:30, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 07 Mar 2024 at 19:17:02 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
On 3/7/24 12:19, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 07 Mar 2024 at 11:29:47 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
On 3/7/24 10:59, Greg Wooledge wrote:

You should be able to verify that the systemd-timesyncd package is
removed.

In some older versions of Debian, systemd-timesyncd was part of the
systemd package, and was always installed, even if you installed ntp
or chrony.  In these versions, the systemd unit file for timesync
had checks for the existence of the binaries belonging to ntp, chrony
and openntpd, and would prevent timesync from running if any of those
was found.

I don't remember which version did which thing.

And of course, if you are not actually running Debian, then all bets are
off.  You're on your own with Armbian, Raspbian, etc.

and because the printer is arm stuff, its old armbian buster vintage.
mks@mkspi:/etc/init.d$ sudo apt purge systemd-timesyncd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'systemd-timesyncd' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
mks@mkspi:/etc/init.d$
yet timedatectl is still there and shows:
mks@mkspi:/etc/init.d$ timedatectl
                 Local time: Thu 2024-03-07 11:15:53 EST
             Universal time: Thu 2024-03-07 16:15:53 UTC
                   RTC time: Thu 2024-03-07 11:04:39
                  Time zone: America/New_York (EST, -0500)
System clock synchronized: no
                NTP service: inactive
            RTC in local TZ: no
mks@mkspi:/etc/init.d$
And the local time shown above is correct to the second.

Debian's buster's systemd (241) has timesyncd built-in, so you may
find that   ls -l /lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd still finds it.

The output from timedatectl is worrying. I would monitor chrony and
check its logs to see if it it's doing anything. After all, you had
ntpsec running until a "moment" ago, so you'd hardly expect the clock
to be wrong by now.

At the instant I removed ntpsec and minute later whem I re-installed
chrony, the time on that printer was around 20 hours stale. By about a
minute after chrony started, which the install did, time was
synchronized.

And still is. Somehow, it resurrected the customized
/etc/chrony/chrony.conf which pointed it at this machines ntpsec
server. So I didn't have to re-invent that wheel. It just Worked.
Memory in the u-sd card? IDK.

I have NDI how to extract chrony's logs from journalctl.

You could run these commands as an ordinary user instead:

   $ chronyc sources
   $ chronyc sourcestats
   $ chronyc tracking

which will give you an idea of what it is doing.

Cheers,
David.

.
mks@mkspi:/etc/init.d$ chronyc tracking
Reference ID    : C0A84703 (coyote.coyote.den)
Stratum         : 4
Ref time (UTC)  : Fri Mar 08 03:23:48 2024
System time     : 0.000006175 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset     : -0.000005491 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.000007778 seconds
Frequency       : 6.590 ppm slow
Residual freq   : -0.002 ppm