Hi,

I've had a bit of a headache understanding why my Debian bookworm system suddenly panicked at boot with an 'unable to mount root fs' error. Turns out the first of my two menuentries in grub.cfg were no longer specifying the linux root by its device UUID (as I was expecting it to do, by honoring GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID != true) ; instead these menuentries were using the device node/file (/dev/md0 in this case, hence the kernel panic).

I've poured through the grub scripts a bit but they're quite complex. I've noticed that :

- uninstalling the second of two kernels caused the remaining one to correctly use the device UUID in grub.cfg ;

- reinstalling that second kernel caused grub.cfg to use UUIDs in all menuentries, as expected.

(Kernel were the two most recent stable ones: 6.1.0-17 and -18.)

This leads me to suspect that my grub.cfg might have been damaged in the way described above because update-grub might have been called in some unusual, limited execution environment. I'd very recently powered off my system and let the default "install pending software updates" option checked by accident, which caused every updated package from the 12.5 release mark to be pulled. I'm guessing that linux-image-6.1.0-18 was part of it.

Has anyone witnessed something similar? Would anyone here care to check this somehow? Or should I open a bug against gnome-desktop without waiting?

Thank you for any insight.

Apologies for possible e-mail client misconfiguration.

Regards,

--
Lucas