On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 11:37 AM Curt wrote:

> On 2024-04-26, Lee wrote:

> >> I had to use it once for a friend of my wife. I downloaded the
> >> github version (as it keeps abreast of the frequent breakages, and I
> >> lack the moral rigor of our numerous purists).
> >
> > I should probably switch to using the Debian package; I lack the moral
> > rigor to keep it updated :(

   <.. snip output showing how old my software is ..>

> I'm really not a very technical personal at heart, but what I found at
> once slightly disturbing and mildly surprising was the lack of
> understanding of how the whole shebang works for a majority of my
> contemporaries.

Right.  Ask someone to explain what all is involved with getting a
packet from <here> to <there> on the Internet.  I suspect most would
ask "What's a packet?"

> I mean, my wife went to the url of the youtube video,
> downloaded *that* from her browser, and then expressed a certain
> confusion that what she had downloaded onto her hard drive was not the
> video itself, but something else entirely.

<grin>  My wife knows that won't work; she skips directly to the "can
you do this for me" step.

> There was no use trying to explain to her anything at all; she only
> wanted the video for her friend, and if I could get it for her, that was
> the full extent of her desire. She wasn't interested in understanding
> how it "works" fundamentally. Her attitude was and is: you're interested
> in that sort of thing, but I'm not and am not going waste my time with
> whatever it is.
>
> There are many intelligent people floating around the world with similar
> attributes. What can you do for them but what you can do for them?

Try explaining?  If they don't want to know that's one thing but if
you keep it simple enough maybe they'll listen & learn something.

Regards,
Lee