On Monday 09 February 2004 11:37 am, Mike M wrote:
> Does this mean that the only way to get a system that just works is to
> mix and match software from all branches?

That depends on how you define "just works". All branches except stable
have a chance of broken packages, so based on that stable is the only
branch that "just works".

The mix of the branches provides a system that "just works" while
supporting newer hardware that stable does not currently support.
However, this same mixing makes it difficult to keep a system updated
from the Debian archive, as a package that worked when the Knoppix CD was
made may be broken currently in the branch it is drawn from.

I would not use Knoppix for anything other than a Live CD for this reason.

Adam