I've been using GNU/Linux now for 18 months, and Debian for about 12. Currently,
my workstation hard drive is partitioned simply:

/dev/hda1 => /
/dev/hda2 => swap

I just purchased a new 120GB IDE drive, however, and would like to partition it
more effectively, now that I'm more comfortable with Debian and GNU/Linux in
general.

Here's my proposed scheme, based on Karsten's guide--out-of-date, but useful
nonetheless: http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

20GB  => WinXP (unless by some stroke of fortuity Half-Life2 is ported to Linux)
150MB => /
100MB => /boot
1GB   => /tmp
1GB   => swap
1GB   => /var
20GB  => /usr
5GB   => /usr/local
~70GB => /home

Notes about my usage:
1. I'm not a programmer. The most hacking I do is basic bash scripting.
2. I do play games, mostly on the Windows side. However, newer games are more
often being ported to Linux (Everquest, Unreal, etc.), so I'd like room to grow
for those typically large installations.
3. I'm not running any servers on this box (mail, apache, etc.). Those are all
hosted elsewhere.

Does this look like a suitable configuration? Any suggested adjustments? I know
that partitioning schemes have been generically discussed ad nauseam, so I tried
to be as specific as possible about my usage.

Thanks as always
--M. Kirchhoff