On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:28:18AM +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:
> with the testing dist-upgrade I did last week, some packages were removed.
> Usually I trust apt and Debian not to remove application packages, but
> this time it removed xv.

Don't ever, ever run dist-upgrade without looking over the list of
removed packages. Ever.

I believe that the next version of xfree86 will no longer force the
removal of certain old packages.

> Now I can't find this package in the Debian tree anymore, neither did apt
> give me a reason why this package has been obsoleted or came with an
> alternative.

apt-get never gives you much in the way of reasoning, which is why I
advise not using it for big upgrades.

> Ideas where to find information why packages are obsoleted and removed
> from the tree?

  http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals.txt

[Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:39:32 -0400] [ftpmaster: James Troup]
Removed the following packages from unstable:

        xv |   3.10a-24 | powerpc
        xv |   3.10a-25 | arm, m68k
        xv |   3.10a-26 | source, alpha, i386, sparc
    xv-doc |   3.10a-26 | all
Closed bugs: 98215

ROM; no permission to modify and redistribute.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]