I too had the same problem. The fix is simple.

Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file. Notice there is a new Section
"Files" that lists the freefont directory.. well, before there wasn't
such a section, so the server used some defaults. With the section, it
trusts you know what you are doing.

Add the other paths to the font directories on your system, and the
problem goes away. (I don't know if this is the *right* fix, maybe
setting up a font server is the correct fix, but .. this worked for me!
;)

Here is my Files section; you may need to modify it to suit your
situation, but this is a start. :)

Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
EndSection

The only one you need to make it shutup about the fixed font is the misc
directory. I imagine the rest add considerably to the experience, but I
cna't be sure. :)

* Thomas E. Vaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [001005 08:46]: