Yes, after more research, I agree with this, and for more background, see: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/15258 If Debian doesn't ship the firmware, there is no issue. Please enable the codec support as Debian/mesa has been doing this by default up until the option was created.