On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 at 01:11:15 +0100, Gert van de Kraats wrote:
> Recently a general upgrade was executed with gnome-shell
> upgrading from version 43.0-2 to 43.1-2.

Are you sure that the root cause was this gnome-shell upgrade, and not
an upgrade of the mesa packages that may have happened at the same time?

Does downgrading gnome-shell (and the mutter library that it depends on)
back to 43.0 resolve this? If not, then it is likely that there is no
gnome-shell change that will fix it.

Alternatively, does downgrading the Mesa packages (libgl1-mesa-dri and
related packages) to the version from Debian 11 (20.3.5-1) resolve this?

> Some user-friendly person has decided to stop support for the i915 dri
> driver.
> As a "service" the mesa-upgrade at Debian also automatically deletes this
> driver.

The old i915 driver was removed from the main mesa packaging and is now
in a separate driver collection, mesa-amber, consisting of drivers for
older hardware that are no longer actively maintained. The Mesa team
packaged mesa-amber (<https://bugs.debian.org/1006202>) and it was in
the NEW queue for a while, but it seems to have disappeared. I'm not
sure what its status was, perhaps the archive administrators rejected it?

What CPU and GPU are you running this on? I see you're using an i686
kernel: is it a 32-bit system?

i686 (32-bit PC) systems are increasingly difficult to support or
test on, so it is looking as though Debian 12 is likely to be the last
version that can be installed on i686 hardware. It might be safer to
stick to Debian 11 on hardware this old, or upgrade to newer hardware
(second-hand 64-bit PCs are widely available, and any good-quality laptop
from the last 10 years would probably improve both performance and power
consumption compared with a 32-bit system, especially if it is a desktop).

If your GPU is old enough to be unsupported by the crocus and iris drivers
(which are the replacement for i915 for newer Intel GPUs), then your CPU
is probably also rather old, which can cause problems for the llvmpipe
(swrast) driver: that driver does some basic rendering on the CPU, but
to do that at an acceptable speed, it tries to make use of non-baseline
CPU extensions.

> Also if "Gnome on Xorg" is started there is no flickering problem.
> In that case swrast is used for software rendering.

If your GPU is too old for the drivers available in mesa, and the mesa-amber
drivers are not installed, then the intended fallback is llvmpipe
(swrast_dri.so). I would have expected that it would be used for both Xorg
and Wayland. However, GNOME in Wayland mode might have higher requirements
for the quality of the drivers than GNOME in Xorg mode, or just different
behaviour, resulting in flickering in Wayland mode but not in Xorg mode.

> I do not know which method gnome with wayland is using, but it is not
> swrast.

Do you have evidence that it is not using swrast? If yes, what?

    smcv