tags 438850 +wontfix
thank you

Michael Hanke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked into an old backup of my xorg.conf and found the reason why it
> was working on etch. I was using the proprietary nvidia driver and had the
> following line added manually to the device section:
>
>       Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
>
> Using this line and the 'nvidia' driver the screen works properly on a
> fresh etch installation and a fresh install of lenny on the same
> machine. It also works with the free ati driver (when connected to an
> ATI card) on etch and lenny.
>
> On both releases the free 'nv' driver fails to set the correct
> resolution and shows the behavior reported in previously.

I just talked to upstream developers about this, they think it is very
hard to fix. It is a firmware bug and that would require lots of work in
the nv driver (and it's not going to happen). I am tagging this bug as
"wontfix" unfortunately then.

They also said that if you're using a DVI cable, you should try a VGA
one instead. The way the card drives the monitor is very different. The
"too small panel size" problem that prevents 1680x1050 from being
accepted on DVI should not occur with VGA.

Brice