> kls wrote:
> > Trying to use my configuration from the previous version in unstable
> > (1.4.6) caused complete failure -- the second head is never even
> > considered, so I only get single headed operation. Attempting to do
> > "what xorg 7.3 wants you to do" doesn't work b/c 1.4.7 doesn't have
> > the relevant parts of xrandr 1.2 implemented.

> There's xserver-xorg-video-mga 1:1.9.99.dfsg.1-1 in experimental with
> randr-1.2 support, you might want to test it. It's probably a better
> idea to make 1.9.99 work than to fix 1.4.7 in the long term anyway.

Ok, I tried that. After using xrandr to set up my desktops to the
original layout (works fine), I'm left with three issues in 1.9.99, of
which the first is a problem and the rest are gripes:

1) Starting WindowMaker causes X to SIGILL, and I can't trace it down
b/c X never finishes starting if I run it inside GDB. This seems to be
libpixman compiled with the wrong flags -- I can get it to happen with
Xvfb also (and debug it!). ...

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
[Switching to Thread 0xb7c546b0 (LWP 7097)]
0xb7ed76b9 in fbCompositeSolidMask_nx8x8888mmx () from
/usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0
(gdb) disas
[...]
0xb7ed76b2 <fbCompositeSolidMask_nx8x8888mmx+226>:  movq   -0x123c(%ebx),%mm5
0xb7ed76b9 <fbCompositeSolidMask_nx8x8888mmx+233>:  movss  -0x80(%ebp),%xmm0
0xb7ed76be <fbCompositeSolidMask_nx8x8888mmx+238>:  mov    %eax,-0x6c(%ebp)

movss seems to be a SSE instruction, and I only have an athlon
thunderbird. This seems to be bug 442852. Should I add this to that
report?

2) There seems to be no way to specify the properties of the second
monitor at startup, so it blithely assumes some defaults (which happen
to be wrong on my old fixed frequency monitors that don't speak DDC
... although based on Jarmo Ilonen's comment, it looks like it doesn't
even inquire). It's easy enough to tell it to do the right thing after
X is started using xrandr, but it'd be nice to not be abusing my
monitor with a mode it can't do for the seconds before it finishes.

3) I can get SEGVs if I change VTs at the wrong time (before it's
finished initializing everything, presumably)

Thanks!
 - robert jacobs