I think you're right there...

Spammers didn't "invent" this as a means of obfuscatoin... It seems that
what happened is some lucky spammers sent out a few messages this way
because that's how their software of choice worked - and they discovered
that it was a good way not to get filtered - and so now there is a
growing preference to use that type of encoding. This is only a guess,
but it seems to be supported by the apparent shift in spam formatting.
The shift also seems to have coincided with a sudden burst of html
obfuscation techniques such as adding randomized html comments
throughout the message to break up phone numbers and key phrases. (These
shifts seem to have peaked within 30-60 days of eachother).

There are some spam software out there now that explicitely support
these mechanisms as "features" for "stealth direct mail".

Adding base64 decoding to Sniffer has had a profound effect on it's
efficiency. Before adding this filter-chain module we had a growing
number of spam which would get through - only to find that there was a
rule in the database already targeted to the message. Now that base64
encoding is in place that almost never happens.

It's too early to tell how profound the effect is because we don't have
a statisitcally reliable sample yet, but next month's report from Scott
should show us the truth. Perhaps we can coax him into giving us some
intermediate statistics (perhaps weekly for this month) so that we can
measure the impact of base64 encoding in spam.

The switchover was specifically timed so that it would coincide with the
beginning of the month for this reason.

_M

unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com.