From: Matthew Bramble [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 2:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Timing out with latest Microsoft patch

Keith,

First off, I can't believe that you can get a single Windows server to
handle that load.  Sounds like Microsoft didn't expect that was possible
either...

Your explanation makes sense regarding the number of network connections
suddenly being limited somehow.  I'm guessing that the same problem would
exist for IMail 8 with a bunch of RBL's configured there.  Maybe Ipswitch
would at least let you know if they have seen similar problems?

Microsoft also should be aware of the problem if in fact it isn't related to
how Declude in particular works, which it doesn't sound like.  One thing I
am thinking is that you have a massive pipe going to your server, and you
might have played with your TCP settings, and maybe this patch changed the
values on you?  That would bottleneck your bandwidth but not your processor.
It's just a stab in the dark though.  This could probably be tested fairly
easily.  The following article is very informative on that topic:

    Windows 2000 TCP Performance Tuning Tips
    http://rdweb.cns.vt.edu/public/notes/win2k-tcpip.htm

According to that article, Windows 2000 out of the box is set best for
Internet connectivity and 10 Mbps LANs, but your Internet bandwidth and the
number of simultaneous connections can both influence what the best settings
are.  I'm not a TCP guru though, just roughly familiar with what the article
points out (shame on me, I went to school for telecom).  It could be a very
unfortunate circumstance where your traffic is split into larger segments
and wasteful small DNS queries, and there's no real good middle ground.

If this is the case, maybe also a different DNS scheme could lessen the load
on your servers outbound connections?  Like having a caching server
installed on the same box doing lookups off another local box?  That would
dramatically reduce the number of outbound connections I would think.  But
again, you obviously have more experience than I do with issues related to
high traffic and I'm just stabbing in the dark at some ideas.

BTW, I did read in one MS tech note that there was "unlimited" connections
allowed under their server products.  That might require some registry
tweaking knowing them, and I wouldn't put it past them to change it on you
with a patch.