I know I'm late in responding to this thread . . but my comment is, if the interim releases are only to fix specific problems, and there is no public announcement or release notes as to what those fixes are, then how is a person to know whether he does or does not need a particular interim release?  If there's a bug in a beta related to logging, for example, I may not know about that bug until I need to check logging for information or detail, and then find that it isn't there.  If an interim release fixes the bug, it'd be nice to know about that before I have a need for the missing logging info.  Or whatever.

Glenn Z.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 5:53 PM
Subject: RE: [Declude.JunkMail] Version / Internmediate Policy

>Having the release notes include minor comments about interim releases,
>which will then be combined into one major note for a beta release, should
>clear up a lot confusion and give us some idea of the features to come.
>
>It will also help us to figure if we want to implement a certain interim
>release or not...

I think the issue here is that people are starting to treat the interim
releases as betas.  With a beta, it is appropriate to know exactly what has
been added and fixed, and decide whether or not you want to upgrade to it.

But interim releases aren't designed to be run by people unless they [1]
are experiencing a problem with the latest release/beta that needs to be
fixed ASAP, or [2] have a very important need for a new feature.  If we add
a new feature to an interim release, we don't want people knowing about it
unless it is something they need (not want).  If someone needs to see the
release notes for an interim release before using it, they shouldn't be
using it.  The value of the fix and/or new feature they need should
outweigh the need to see release notes.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver
vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.

This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found