I was wondering what people's feelings were on blacklisting based on the
sending computers connection type (of course based on IP range)?  I have
heard on other threads that some just assume that if a message came from a
server that has an IP within a range of IPs that is listed as being cable,
DSL, or dial-up it should be treated as spam. When talking about this are
people referring to all DSL and cable IP ranges or just the dynamically
assigned ones?

Well, considering that the only reasonably priced high-speed connections here are via cable (as in the next step up is at least 5 times the price), such a test would catch our E-mail.

I think that what most people are referring to is a test that detects E-mail coming from dynamic IPs. However, the fundamental flaw with such a test is that there isn't any way to know if an IP is dynamic or static. Every so often our mail bounces because someone thinks (incorrectly, of course) that our IP is dynamic.

However, we see no problem in having such a test, which could be set up as a filter with "REVDNS ... CONTAINS" lines in them. Depending on the source of your information, our E-mail might get caught by the test -- but used in a weighting system, our mail wouldn't get caught.

The reason I am asking is because I am thinking of tinkering with a setup on
my home network to provide email to my family.  I wouldn't consider myself
an expert mail admin but I know enough from the mail administration I do at
work to configure my server securely (and of course run Declude AV and JM
:)) The only thing holding me back from playing with this project is that I
fear my mail will be filtered as spam by most other mail admins because
there is no way I can afford a T1 or above for my home.  I would be using
business class DSL or cable with static IPs.

In that case, you should be fine. However, be prepared for a few fanatics that may block your E-mail anyways. If that happens, the best thing to do is usually just to forget about it. If that happens to us, we try re-routing through our Internet provider, but find that more than half the time the fanatics are blocking our Internet provider, as well. So unless you really need the E-mail to get through, it may not be worth the time trying to bypass the spam filters (I remember the days when it was the spammers trying to bypass spam filters!).

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.