> The E-mail that comes in for accounts that are no longer hosted on that
> server can be safely refused after 2 days passes.  I believe a lot of
> mail servers will try the A record when delivery fails to the MX, or the
> MX can't be resolved.  The E-mail should be queued on the sending server
> and retried if it does fail due to a glitch.  It should never default to
> an A record of course.

That's what I was hoping. I don't think there is any need to leave the old
Imail server with an entry in the HOSTS file pointing to the new server
after, say, a week to be safe.

> I believe that when IMail is set up as a gateway server, all of the
> E-mail will be forwarded by way of the IP of the gateway if you set it
> up as a host, or by the default domain's IP if you don't have a host set
> up on the backup MX's address.  You can therefore IPBYPASS just that one
> IP.  Your master IMail server should accept all E-mail addressed to a
> local domain, so you shouldn't have to do anything with the ColdFusion
> or MS SMTP stuff if I'm correct.
>
> FYI, I'm not sure if I followed you perfectly.

LOL. And I am not sure I followed *you*. IPBYPASS has a 20 IP limit, so it's
not practical to bypass the IP address of the old mail host. On the old box,
each site has it's own IP (non-virtual) in Imail. Therefore, each domain
that goes to Declude would need to have a unique IPBYPASS entry. EVen if the
old Imail server forwards all outgoing email to a gateway first (my postfix
box, for example), mail being delivered via a HOSTS entry is not forwarded
to the gateway. The HOSTS entry takes precedence, and Imail stamps the
header with the A record IP address and forwards the email directly to the
declude box.

I am going to remove those HOSTS entries for one small domain and see if the
user complains about not receiving some email. I am fairly confident it will
not cause a problem. The "old" Imail servers, in these cases, have been in
service for a long time, back when we kept mail and web on the same box
(duh). New sites that we get for hosting have mail and web separate, and
there isn't even *any* SMTP running on the A record box. All mail is handled
by the MX host alone. And no one has complained about non-receipt of email.

Thanks,

--
Scot

> Matt
>

> Scot Desort wrote:
>
> >I have run across a dilema.
> >
> >We run Imail on the same server as IIS for web sites we host. A normal
web
> >hosting customer therefore has DNS records that look like this
> >
> >@    IN    A    192.168.1.1
> >www    IN    A    192.168.1.1
> >mail    IN    A    192.168.1.1
> >somedomain.com    IN    MX    10    mail.somedomain.com.
> >
> >As web hosting customers subscribe to spam filtering with us, we migrate
> >their mail to our Declude server, leaving their web site on the existing
> >server. Assuming the IP address of the declude server is 192.168.1.2, we
> >make the following change to DNS:
> >
> >@    IN    A    192.168.1.1
> >www    IN    A    192.168.1.1
> >mail    IN    A    192.168.1.2
> >somedomain.com    IN    MX    10    mail.somedomain.com.
> >
> >No MX records point to the web server. At the time of migration, DNS
changes
> >are obviously not immediate. So we make the following changes to the
"old"
> >server
> >
> >1. Edit the registry and rename the "official host name" in the Imail
> >registry key for 192.168.1.1 to something obscure, and change any aliases
> >something obscure (we don't delete the host in IADMIN just in case
something
> >backfires and we need to go back to the "old" server).
> >
> >2. We make an entry in the HOSTS file on the old mail server:
> >192.168.1.2      mail.somedomain.com
> >so any email still coming into the old IP address gets forwarded to the
> >Declude box until DNS refreshes, making the old server function like a
relay
> >server for somedomain.com.
> >
> >Now, the web server is IIS, and therefore has Frontpage forms and
Coldfusion
> >forms, and other email generated by the web server. This stuff often gets
> >tripped on some declude tests. Customers have leads and other important
> >customer contact forms that need to always get delivered. So, naturally,
we
> >make an entry in our global.cfg file:
> >
> >WHITELIST   IP   192.168.1.0/24
> >
> >to whitelist all email coming from our web servers.
> >
> >Here is the problem:
> >Spammers often do not try to connect to the MX record. They are using the
> >record. So, Imail on the old server stamps it's own IP address
(192.168.1.1
> >in this example) into the header, and forwards the email to the Declude
> >(new) Imail server. Declude sees our IP in the header, and whitelists the
> >spam. Obviously this is a problem.
> >
> >We can't  IPBYPASS all of the individual IP addresses in all of our
subnets
> >since there is a limit of 20, and we can't IPBYPASS entire subnets like
you
> >can with WHITELIST IP.
> >
> >We could set HOPHIGH to 1 to force declude to scan the prior host also.
But
> >that would add some additional overhead to declude, and not all email
coming
> >into declude is effected by this scenario, possibly creating false
> >positives.
> >
> >So, the answer is to remove the entry in the HOSTS file on the old mail
> >server so it no longer relays to the new server, now that enough time has
> >passed and DNS has completely updated across all root servers.
> >
> >Is there any chance in losing legit email (broken mail servers that don't
> >connect to MX records), or any other consequences of making this change?
Or