From: Dan Geiser [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 4:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Acting as a gateway for domains on other
servers

Hey, John, et.al.,
I allocated some time to try again to set it up and test it, to take
advantage of your kind offer, and 'lo and behold this time it worked!
Doh. Anyway for those who are interested here's my synopsis for using
IMail to do spam filtering on external domains, i.e. domains not hosted
by IMail.

Here is the key KB article at Ipswitch...

IMail - How to use IMail as SMTP Gateway for another e-mail server
http://support.ipswitch.com/kb/IM-19980116-DM01.htm

I broke it down into the following steps:

-
1)  Add the IP Address of the IMail server on the Destination Server

2)  Add the IP Address of the Destination Server on the IMail Server

3)  Modify the HOSTS File

4)  Change the MX Record
-

If you read the KB article they actually describe the procedure in
almost exactly the reverse of how I ordered it but I think mine is much
better for avoiding any down time.  In further detail, this is what I
had to do to get everything working.

-
1)  Add the IP Address of the IMail server on the Destination Server

The Destination Server is the server that the MX record would normally
be pointing to if you weren't going to intercept the e-mail and scan for
spam.

In my case I was using a Microsoft Exchange Server, so I got on the
Destination Server locally and ran Exchange System Manager.  I then
navigated to Servers -> <Server Name> -> Protocols -> SMTP and selected
the item Default SMTP Virtual Server.  Right-click, choose Properties,
select the Access tab, click the Relay button.  Make sure the Only The
List Below radio button is selected and then click Add and then type in
the IP address of your IMail server.
-

-
2)  Add the IP Address of the Destination Server on the IMail Server

We are running IMail 6.06.  I ran IMail Administrator and navigated down
one level and selected the "localhost" branch.  I clicked on the SMTP
Security tab and verified the "Relay mail for" underneath "Mail Relay
Options" was selected.  I clicked on the Addresses button and clicked
the "Add" button. I then entered the IP address of the Destination
Server and clicked OK.

Note: Once you are done you have to stop and start the SMTP server for
the change to put into play by the IMail Server.
-

-
3)  Modify the HOSTS file with Destination Server IP address and Domain
Name

We are running IMail 6.06 on a Windows 2000 server.  I went to this
directory, C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc, and located the file called
"hosts" (no file extension).  I open the "hosts" file with notepad and
added a line with the format...

<Destination Server IP Address> <tab> <Domain Name>
-

-
4)  Change the MX Record

On the DNS hosting server the MX record which currently points to the IP
Address of the Destination Server to the IP Address of the IMail Server.
Once the DNS propogates Internet-wide you should be all set.
-

At this point I sent a test message from my Hotmail account to a user on
the test domain.  In very short order the message was received at the
Destination Server.  To verify that it actually routed through the IMail
server I viewed the whole message source and looked for the appropriate
hops and there they were.

Since Declude sees e-mail routed through IMail this way as outgoing
mail, to actually start filtering spam you have to use Declude's
domain-specific configuration by creating a directory called
<domain.com> underneath your "declude" directory and then creating a
$default$.junkmail file in the <domain.com> directory.

So that's how I got IMail to act as a gateway for domains on other
servers.

Take Care,
Dan Geiser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]