From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 1:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Fake IP Test

Rick,

It's very, very spammy and I don't believe that I have ever seen a false positive on this in over 6 months of use.   At the same time however, I'm not aware of any spamware right now that forges your IP as the HELO and encloses it in brackets as one of Kevin's filter lines shows.  I actually consider a bracketed IP as the HELO to be a sign of standards compliance and I try not to fail such things just simply based on that so if you score this pattern, don't score it high.  Consider also with the other patterns the guaranteed tests that will fail with a non-bracketed IP as the HELO, for instance HELOBOGUS and BADHEADERS will always hit this condition so consider extra points from a filter to tag your IP as the HELO to be cumulative in points.  I use a STARTSWITH filter so that I don't find myself switching IP's and forgetting to change the filter, for instance:

HELO      15      STARTSWITH      208.7.179.

Matt

Rick Davidson wrote:
I hold mail if the HELO matches my servers IP address, is there a situation
I am overlooking where this would be a bad idea?

Rick Davidson
National Systems Manager
North American Title Group
-