As I was lurking on this list I noticed a thread "Question about
Exchange2Aliases" where .local was suggested as an example TLD.  If you have
Mac OS X boxes on your network and you want to have them as members of a
Microsoft Active Directory Domain then you cannot use .local as this
extension is used by some OS X service (Rendezvous discovery service I
believe).  The TLD ".lan" seems to work and also connotes a "local" area
network.  We use .lan for our local DNS services required for Active
Directory.  This allows us to manage our local DNS zone "commarts.lan"
without affecting our internet DNS records (on our ISP's DNS servers).

Also if anyone out there is attempting to join Mac OS X computers to a
Microsoft Active Directory Domain then check out ADMitMac from
www.thursby.com - it works well in our small office environment and is worth
the $ if you do not have the time to figure out the ins and outs of Active
Directory (which didn't work in the early releases of OS X but may work fine
now).

Michael Hoyt
Communication Arts
110 Constitution Drive