Markus,

I have found that my users miss about 99% of the false positives using a system where I set up review accounts in Web-mail for each domain and only capture less than 2% of their blocked volume for them to review.  Reprocessing and reporting the message is done with a single click using a link that I added to the interface for this purpose.  I know that they miss this much because we also do review for the hold range across our entire user base, however we don't guarantee in any way that we will find every false positive or review this with specific regularity.  Obviously as volume increases, so does the work required for us to do this, but it is quite easy for all but a couple of our domains to be reviewed because the number of held messages are generally below 20 a day, and only 7 days are kept.

I too am looking to move to a 'push' format, figuring that if you deliver a message daily to each domain's administrator showing this small sampling where false positives are almost exclusively held, I will dramatically increase the amount of user feedback and more importantly, lessen the dependence on us.  I have only had one customer that was ever upset about false positives, and this customer dropped us.  The issue there was that the domain owner's wife was very big on free-deals sites, and their daily E-mails were often being blocked and they never gave us enough time to clean up all of the issues.  Personally, I don't feel that our service is appropriate for people that value such things so highly, especially since so much of it is associated with spam (shared or brokered lists).

So having this Web-mail review for each domain has in fact provided us with feedback from those few that feel that this is important to them.  I have found that the people driven enough to do the review do in fact often report false positives for sources like eWeek and Orbitz, even things as pointless as surveys.  I do very much appreciate the feedback, and I have killed entries from my own blacklist repeatedly as a result of these reports after finding that people did want to make their own choices with the tertiary stuff.  Since they are also generally tech types, they favor tech content, probably due to familiarity as well as favorites.  Those that don't regularly do review however are much less likely to report advertising or low-value newsletters/subscriptions as being false positives.  These types are also strangely enough much more likely to report a phishing attempt as a false positive, and that has happened 3 times that I can recall (I'm improving my phishing filters to get this stuff deleted more often instead of just held).  So the gist of this is that I get the feeling that just like us, the administrators of these individual domains have their own sub-conscious rules that they use.

This is all a bit secondary to my original inquiry however.  What I was really interested in was what rules people like yourself use in determining whether something is ham or spam.

Thanks,

Matt

Markus Gufler wrote:
I'm close to finish a reporting tool that will send out a daily notification to the local recipient if new messages was hold on the mailserver with a final weight slightly above the hold weight (up to now we review this messages regulary and can find an average of one false positive each day by around 15k delivered messages)

The notification contains only a link to a webpage where the user can see his hold messages and klick on it to requeue them.

I'm curios what my customers will consider "not spam"  :-)

Markus