I did post this morning to both this and the Virus lists but for some reason
it did not appear. I will re-post tomorrow when I get to the office.

Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Serge
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 8:43 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] SmarterMail move, and some complaining

Oops, i did not mean the customers
Went back and read my post, i meant to say why did BARRY not post any
explanation here, Not you John :)
Also i understand there are anti piracy details that cannot be shared here,
he did give some users some details about failsafe measures, cold spare
server, ... that Barry could have shared here to make us feel we are not
beiing ignored.

Concerning anti-piracy measures, as posted here, everybody can also use same

MAC address
One way to safely fight piracy, for declude and us customers, is a way for
declude to phone home with basic information, once an illegal copy is
detected, they disable the "activation code" in their database, and the next

time that copy phone home, it disable itself. All this after contacting the
original customer, giving him a new code, so not to disable  the "legal"
copy
That may be one way to do it, i'm sure there are other (and better ways),
but the important issue is that the "legal" customer can change as many ips
and macs as he wants, without encoutering any problem, until the declude
folks contact him, listen to him, and warn him.

But we should have already been warned that changes are taking places,
phonning home is already happening, and what failsafe measures are beiing
considered

Finaly, As always with software, there will always be someone who will
reverse engineer the code and create a "crack" to disable the security
mecanisme, that is the price of success.