I have evaluated a Fortigate 60 unit in a few locations. I think List price is about $700, Support is $250/year and Content Filter is $250/year. The sales person told me they recommended that unit for up to 25 workstations, but the specs say up to 7 Mbps throughput and 50,000 concurrent connections. I tested it on a school network with 3Mbps Internet access and about 800 workstations and even under full utilization of the Internet connection there was no loss of performance.

Support is a Required purchase, but with the support costs you get the AV updates, Intrusion Detection Updates, Firmware Updates, and I believe Hardware replacement as well as Tech Support. The only thing that costs extra is the Content Filter List. The price is based on the unit size, so the next step up Support and Content Filter price increase as well.

The 60 also has dual WAN ports with Fail-over and load balancing.

The one school I tested with 3Mbps throughput uses a Barracuda filter for mail. When testing the Fortinet for a week the Barracuda detected NO viruses infected messages. When I sent a test virus through Declude site through the Fortinet and the message was stopped before the mail server received the complete message!

Grayware I had enabled and I can not confirm that it will catch all Spyware, it did stop a lot of stuff on my home network according to the logs.

Intrusion Detection/Prevention will let you block Instant Message and p2p clients by signature so even if the apps port hop it still will block the communications. This function worked very well.

As a small ISP, I have been thinking about adding one of the units to the Internet Gateway to block Viruses and Grayware for my clients.

It can be setup in Transparent mode if you don't want to change any of your network settings or NAT mode with firewall functionality.
Scott Fosseen - Systems Engineer -Prairie Lakes AEA
http://fosseen.us/scott
With over 50 cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry
isn't likely to carve out a big slice of the U.S. market for itself.
- Business Week magazine, 1968

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Childers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>