At 01:08 PM 5/19/2005, you wrote:
So, we've been looking quite a bit at SmarterMail for the past few months ... everyone in here seems to rant and rave about it, wishing they had switched sooner. However, when I really dig into it, it seems like it's missing a lot of common functionality. Here's a couple examples that I confirmed with their tech support:

- There's no way to have an alias launch an EXE (or do anything but go to another email address)
- There's no global filters, and no way to create filters automatically with web services. Editing the XML directly would require a service restart. So it'd need to be entirely manual, or find a way to hook their DLLs I guess.
- No way to change the connection banner for IMAP (or smtp or pop3)
- No way to create an address or alias that would allow a user to unsubscribe the mailing list by just sending a message there, it *needs* to have "unsubscribe" in the subject. I assume this could somehow be rigged with some title-rewriting content filter .. ick.

I've seen a few other things that concern me .. some of this stuff is on the list, or has been put on the list for the next release, but they're shooting for December. So, I guess we should realistically assume 2006.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan

I think SmarterMail has a very nice interface for the end user, but it is lacking some features on the admin side. The vendor does seem to listen to feature requests and bug reports. When I last spoke to the SmaterTool folks, they said version 3 of SmarterMail would be released sometime in August, 2005. I hope we don't have to wait until December.

Mike