On Sunday, September 11, 2005, 11:46:12 PM, Kim wrote:

KP> Over the weekend, a lot of spam has been getting through.
KP> Checking the Declude JunkMail log file shows the following:

KP>    09/10/2005 00:01:41.906 q84a2205001d48c60 ERROR: External
KP> program SNIFFER didn't finish quick enough; terminating.

KP> Can anyone shed some light on this? That is, what would cause
KP> Sniffer to not complete in a timely manner?

I responded to you directly also, but forgot to mention, please check
the SNF logs for errors and also check to see what they say about how
long the messages are taking to setup and to scan.

If you see setup times and you have a persistent instance running then
that indicates either that the persistent instance crashed for some
reason or that (more likely) your system is heavily overloaded - this
can cause client instances to give up waiting for SNF to finish other
jobs--- they then begin processing their jobs themselves (and loading
the rulebase) which further loads the system so that it can't recover.
--- An experimental fix for systems that are this overloaded is to
reduce the number of concurrent threads (normally 30, try 20 or even
10 in extreme cases depending upon your conditions).

If you are not running a persistent instance then this would be a good
time to begin :-)

hope this helps,

_M

PS: There may be many other things I don't know about this case -- the
above is an intuitive guess...