Would this work?

Instead of using the hosts file to define the IPs and DOMAINS could you
not create a zone on your own DNS server for the domain in question and
then define 2 MX records? In this case when the primary goes down it
will flip to the secondary by itself? Then you would not need to put it
into the hosts file.

Or is this not a good idea?

     Goran Jovanovic
     The LAN Shoppe