Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 6:17 AM
Subject: RE: [Declude.JunkMail] Decludeproc abend

I started off on an IBM 370/168 in 1980.  The characters on the console were rendered in green print and looked like they had been hand drawn on the screen.  The computer had a CPU meter on it.  The needle would go to 100% utilization and stay there most of the night.  I remember just a few days after starting for the Company someone called me up and asked me to “turn on their focus.”  I thought to myself, “what an idiot.  Its impossible for me to turn on their focus…that must be a knob on their screen”   It was only later I found out Focus was some kind of software application that they wanted me to run.  LOL!

We used to have to remove the disk platters from the disk drives and swap them with other platters.  I think these were 3350 drives????   I don’t recall for sure…that was 26 years ago.  We had fourteen 3420 tape drives that I had to kept fed and they were hungry buggers!  I’d walk around with about 10 reels of tape on my arm and I’d keep those drives loaded with tapes and have to take the old reels off and hang them back on the racks.  I believer the racks held something in the neighborhood of 18,000 reels of tape.

The first PC we had was one my dad had bought.  It booted off of a tape drive.  There was no such thing as a hard drive at that time!!!!  He was gone to work one day and I typed into the computer, “what is your name?”  The PC responded with some cryptic error message that made no sense to me.  I asked a few more questions and finally concluded that the PC was just plain stupid and that it didn’t know a thing!  It was about 2 years later that I went to school for programming.