I find that companies that will pay for Microsoft Exchange Server and Client licences (and other BackOffice products) wouldn't blink at the cost of MOM; and the pricing is staggered so that you can buy as much utility as you can realistically implement.

What I find attractive is not the application management so much as the Event Log gathering and reporting.

Weirdly enough, it's not the large shops that I've seen deploying MOM, but rather, it's the small to medium sized shops that don't have the in-house expertise and find MOM cheaper than outsourcing the high-end technologists.  In particular, MOM provides the basic "root cause analysis" that junior technologists lack, e.g. so that MOM can tell the help desk that the webserver outage is really a DNS problem.

Andrew 8)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 2:46 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] OT - Server Watching.

Maybe that's because it costs an arm and a leg:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mom/howtobuy/default.mspx

This is really remote management software and not just simply monitoring and reporting.  Probably makes sense in big enterprises but not for small businesses.

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote:
I'm quite surprised that nobody has named:

http://www.microsoft.com/mom/default.mspx

Microsoft MOM yet.  It's quite popular in Microsft shops.

Andrew 8)