> I  don't however believe that the intentions were to snipe customers
> away  from Declude,

No?  Not  to  get some people out of the Declude upgrade path, so they
could  spend  their limited budgets elsewhere? Not to upsell a gateway
solution that "takes the heat off" a Declude infrastructure?

The  history  here  speaks for itself. Solid Oak decided to get out of
the  Declude  add-on business, forcing CyberSitter users to either put
in   the  Alligate  MTA  in  place  of  IMail/Declude  or  stop  using
CyberSitter's  very  effective  ruleset.  It  was  a bully move, smart
capitalism but a pretty dumb way of expressing selflessness. I have no
doubt  that  the  new  product is an excellent MTA; that does not make
competitive spamming okay.

> but  instead  to  provide a value-added solution to those of us that
> require an address-validating gateway or pre-scanner of some sort.

What does that even mean? Please: tell me what product that causes the
consumer  to  incur  costs  above  their baseline is not marketed as a
"value-added  solution."  Of course it has to be claimed to add value;
otherwise,  no  one would pay for it. That's a basic building block of
software commerce. It is not a building block of good-heartedness.

Do you want a free address-validating gateway that isn't limited to 10
connections?  Use 5XXSINK and MS SMTP, for God's sake. Use Mercury/32.
Use MailEnable.

> His  company has of course previously offered a plug-in for Declude,
> and publishes a blacklist that many around here are making use of as
> well.

That  they  once  offered CyberSitter is material because of the *bad*
feelings it left behind (see John's e-mail). It doesn't entitle anyone
to  come  back,  _still_  without a Declude add-on or integration, and
market another product.

If  offering an well-regarded DNSBL allows you circumvent the rules of
spamming,  that's  quite  a  surprise.  Can  the  people who run other
respected  blacklists just pop on an anti-spam vendor support list and
sell competitive -- or at the very least non-vendor-aware -- products?
News  to  me.  And  I  doubt  you  really  support that position, once
extended.

> I don't believe that they are looking at this product as a big money
> maker for them

Any money is big money when you get it unethically.

> or even a money maker at all.

This  is  a  slimmed-down  version of a product they already built and
are/were compensated for. If they failed to break even when they first
put out the product, is it up to us to bail them out in this round?

I  might  feel  less inclined to rant on if they weren't a comfortably
profitable  and  well-known software vendor, by Brian's own admission,
with  CyberSitter.  They  have  the  time  and money in the bank. They
aren't  trying  to pay past-due bills with this thing; they are trying
to  recoup  some  labor investment. So far, that's all both common and
necessary  in  business,  and  not objectionable in its own right. But
where  it  goes  dead wrong is spamming this list, or any competitor's
list. I don't care if you only stand to make the equivalent of 5 bucks
an  hour  for  the  development  time you put into the product vs. the
number  of  copies  you'll  sell.  You  still  need to figure standard
marketing, not spamming, into your budget.

> Even  programs  like  Sniffer  has  some potential of competing with
> Declude,  though  both are of course stronger as a result of working
> together.

Sniffer is a legitimate plug-in for Declude. Pete never markets Assert
on  this  list;  if  people  discover it from getting into the Sniffer
community  through  Declude,  that's  good viral work by ARM. It's the
opposite  tactic  than  that  used by Solid Oak, in that ARM can use a
Declude-aware  product  as an entry point into their own mailing lists
and  other  products,  some  of them even competitive. But Sniffer for
Declude  is  not  handicapped  vs. the Sniffer part of Assert, showing
their  good-faith  maintenance of different integrations. It's not the
same thing at all.

> It  would  be  good  for Declude to offer a gateway solution of some
> sort or find a partner to do so.

Isn't  SmarterMail  that  partner?  IMO,  we  need  another  MTA,  and
Computerized  Horizons  distracted  by  such  work, like a hole in the
head.

--Sandy

------------------------------------
Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/

---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]