Hi John,

AH, use variables to set the date and then process by date.

simplicity is elegance  :)

Now question,
how does that work if say you run the script on 04/01/06? Will it recognize
the day before as 03/31/06 or will it try to say it is 04/00/06?
Well it depends. What files will be subject to archiving? Will there only be the files you wish to archive [selectable by wildcard] plus the present day? If so yes - it will work. It will see that today is 04/01/06 and exclude that from the archive [because of the -f switch] and archive/add to the archive the rest of the files. If however you have a multitude of files by date and need to pick and choose which files to archive the script needs to be modified.

As Andrew knows, I am extremely poor on scripting and command line.
Andrew can be a little judgmentally harsh at times. I have felt your pain.

FYI, I will not be around tonight or Tuesday so I may not respond until
Wednesday morning.
Enjoy!

-Nick

John T