Will,

Do you have any catch-all (nobody) aliases for any of your domains? If so, a single such domain can overwhelm a server when under dictionary attack. Catch-alls must be removed. The traffic will disappear immediately if this is the case.

Also, it is definitely not uncommon for a business like yours to have clients using your server for bulk-mailing. You should set reasonable recipient limits per message (like 50 or so) and watch for people that have automated software that sends out even more.

Looping can cause issues like this as well.

Lastly, you may need to tweak your Declude.cfg settings in order to handle the normal traffic that you see. It seems that a lot of the higher volume servers backup when using the default settings, so this effect may be different from what you were seeing in the past. Maybe you could share your normal and peak volume along with your Declude.cfg settings with the list and get some feedback.

Matt

Will wrote:

I have had a problem with my Imail server backlogging mail for years now
where the spool directory will fill with hundreds of thousands of
messages.  Now it's the proc folder with the new version of declude.
This issue has been ongoing throughout the years as I have upgraded both
Imail and Declude.  It has come to the point where I have to purge
500,000 messages to get my mail server running again.

I'm not sure what to do, as I need the virus and spam protection.

Is there a way to block all mail from Romania and china?

Will