All of that is good advice -- but one extra thing drew my attention -- IMAP running 99% CPU -- in my mind that points to possible file system issues - What shape your file system is in: Is it badly fragmented? Are any of your drives performing badly? Also - has someone suddenly changed what they are doing in IMAP that could cause heavy IO loads?

One system I helped on recently was slowly sucking itself into it's own private circle of hell along with it's admin. I followed the performance trail to the IO and found that a couple of large log files were very badly fragmented -- I moved those files to a new location and everything perked up right away.

* File moves often evaporate fragmentation.

* Files that grow slowly over a long period on a mail server on NTFS tend to get badly fragmented.

My $0.02.

_M