We count as an old-timer.

Smarterstats from smartertools for log reading.  They have a cheap / free
version, I think.  We don’t use them.

Or

Google analytics for javascript-based analytics.  Definitely free and powerful.
 Basically, it requires an include on every web page to make it easy to deploy.
 Only real downside I can think of is that things that are served from your
site that don’t result in a page view (think images, downloads) are not easily
tracked.

We use goog analytics.

Rob