> In the end, he seems to be  saying that we have a name server
> giving wrong results, which would make sense, except I can't figure
> out which name servers he's referring to.  You'll see below where he
> says "the NS0 name server points to NS1 and that will point to
> mail2.bcwebhost.net and your incorrect IP address," and I don't see
> that, do you?

No.

He's so far up his own... something... that he's decided upfront that
it cannot be his problem, so he is willfully misreading the actual
results.

Look at this, from his message:

> Authority:
>        xname.org.                    600   NS      ns2.xname.org.
>        xname.org.                    600   NS      ns3.xtremeweb.de.
>        xname.org.                    600   NS      ns0.xname.org.
>        xname.org.                    600   NS      ns1.xname.org.

He claims to be getting this information from ns1.xname.org. I'm sure
he is. The question is WHY he is querying ns1.xname.org, since it does
not appear in the parents at gtld-servers.net nor in any NS records
returned by your NSs.

I think you may have a chicken-egg situation where he is actually
using a broken server to check for brokenness!

Tell him this: at *..gtld-servers.net, your NSs are

NS-record for bcwebhost.net:
    DNS server = bcw4.bcwebhost.net
    TTL = 172800 (2 days)
NS-record for bcwebhost.net:
    DNS server = ns1.twisted4life.com
    TTL = 172800 (2 days)
NS-record for bcwebhost.net:
    DNS server = ns0.xname.org
    TTL = 172800 (2 days)
NS-record for bcwebhost.net:
    DNS server = ns2.xname.org
    TTL = 172800 (2 days)

*AND* querying each of those NSs directly, the same list of NSs
appears. Ask him if he differs with this. He can't.

So why would ns1.xname.org even be on his mind? Why would he be
hitting this server at all? Answer: he is not actually digging
directly into your servers, but trusting his own, broken server. Which
means he is not testing properly. What server is he using, anyway
(never mind "non-Comcast tools")?

Now, I grant you, his server wouldn't be "broken" per se if you had
set, say, a 30-day TTL somewhere. That would be your fault. But we
don't see that, or at least we can't see it anywhere in his results.

> Do you see where in the stuff below it says that ns0 is getting its
> results from ns1? The IP of ns1 is 178.33.255.252 and for ns0 it's
> 195.234.42.1.

No, and I don't even know what it would mean to be "getting its
results from ns1." ns0 is returning authoritative results. As you
said, he seems to be willfully making no sense: "getting its results
from" is useless nonsense. Which is weird because in certain ways he
seems to know what he's talking about.

> At any rate, unless ns0 is really linked to ns1 as this guy claims,
> then I don't see how ns1 is relevant.

It isn't relevant. It isn't in the picture. If it's in the picture for
him, he's not testing with working servers.

>                                 This is a subdomain
> “ANYTHING.DOMAIN.TLD” is a subdomain and your mail.bcwebhost.net
> subdomain should NOT have its own MX record.

> Answer:

>        mail.bcwebhost.net.              43200  A     173.164.65.200

>                 mail.bcwebhost.net. 43200      MX           0
> mail.bcwebhost.net.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this setup and I wish you could
make this Spencer Jones idiot publish this claim in a DNS-centric
place where he will be shamed (as opposed to a pretty dormant ML).
Someone like Len Conrad could hand him his....

-- S.

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: sa...@cypressintegrated.com

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/