I have zip files set as a banned extension and they do get blocked (incoming
and outgoing) when they are sent from a true mail client.  When zips are
sent from webmail, they get by the banned extension list.  I believe this is
normal behavior but I'm wondering why that is.  If I don't want to allow zip
files to be sent FROM my server at all, is there a way to accomplish it?

Are you running a version of IMail prior to 8.0? On old versions of IMail, Declude Virus would be bypassed for E-mail sent via web messaging (and would require a "hack" to get them scanned).

Do you see Declude Virus log file entries for one of those E-mails?

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.