Rick Hillegas wrote:
I like Lance's suggestion and would like to propose it as a general policy. I think that this will handle Army's XML work as well as the other new 10.2 datatypes:

If you add a new datatype to a server release (e.g., BOOLEAN or XML), then you must specify the following:

Where would we specify these? In the code, in the documentation, in the functional spec, somewhere else, all of the above? By specify do you mean for informational/doc purposes, or are you referring to actual code in the server/client that does this "specifying"?

1) A legacy datatype to which the new type maps when the server talks to old clients. The legacy type is some datatype in JDBC 2.0 java.sql.Types. This is the type which old clients see in DatabaseMetaData and ResultSetMetaData.

Does "old client" here simply mean Derby clients with Derby versions earlier than the server version (regardless of client-side jvm), or does it also mean "old clients" in the sense that you defined it in one of your other posts, namely:

- The DB2JCC client
- The 10.1 client
- A 10.2 client running on jdk1.3 (JDBC 2), jdk1.4 (JDBC 3), or jdk1.5 (JDBC 3)

(assuming the appropriate Derby and jvm versions are substituted in)?

Army