Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

David W. Van Couvering wrote:

I thought Rick's suggestion of adding the "UNSIGNED" keyword was a good
solution -- we can get the best of both worlds...

So more non-standard syntax? Why is it better for a SQL Server/Sybase
application to change their types to TINYINT UNSIGNED, instead of
SMALLINT?
Some customers may not care if they have to double the column size. Others may care.

Or even SMALLINT with a check constraint to limit the range.

Dan.

You can also implement NOT NULL as a check contraint. Most databases consider that to be an inefficiency which it's worth optimizing with custom logic.