The test harness can run tests within the same jvm if useprocess=false.
This is set for the nist suite, so that all the sub-scripts are run in a
single JVM, mainly for performance reasons.

I'm looking at the code in RunTest.java so I can add security manager to
this in-process mode.

The buildTestCommand() method is called regardless of the setting of
useprocess, though it seems its result is only used for useprocess=true.
Thus it seems that the call to buildTestCommand could move into the same
if (useprocess) block around line 438.

This leads me to the question, it seems buildTestCommand() performs a
some amount of setup through property setting with -D that does not
occur when running in process (useprocess=false).
Apart from the security properties, the console encoding is set in
buildTestCommand(), but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding setting
in the in-process way.

Is this intentional, or a source for concern?

Thanks,
Dan.