David W. Van Couvering wrote:

This is a vote for choosing a logo for Apache Derby.

My vote: "None of the above".

I do *not* think all the suggestions on the list are "crap" - as a
matter of fact a few of them have very good potential - but I support
the idea (brought forward by Brian Smith) of spending more time trying
to get more people with graphics skills involved in this process. I'd
rather do this than deciding on one logo now and go through the process
of changing to another logo later.

Announcing the logo competition to some graphics communities (if this
has not been tried already), perhaps giving them some pointers to some
of the symbolism we've seen so far (this may include the hat, the
feather, the horse, etc.), might be worth the effort.

However, I *do* think Derby needs a logo in the not so distant future,
and I will definitely be able to live with either of the logos having
received votes so far.

BTW:
I won't dig too deep into the hat discussion, but I certainly heard of
demolition derby long before I heard of the hat - but I guess that's
just me ;) Demolition is probably not a good theme to include in the logo,
though...

--
John