I can second this, when debugging a file I tend to just use the classes
and rebuild over/over the same .java file.  There use to be better
support with previous build systems to optimize this case - but you
had to know what you were doing since if you didn't run the build from
the top you might change a file that some file elsewhere in the system
depended on.  Thus when I am done locally debugging I always to a full
build.

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

What I don't understand is a target that *cleans* only the classes, and
not the jars. I think it makes it too easy for the distracted developer
to accidentally run with the wrong code, by using the old jars.

I think some of it is history with the product. The Cloudscape jars,
when it was a closed source product, took a long time to build and the
process needed a machine with a lot of memeory. This was due to the
obfuscation process. Thus developers typically did not build the jars,
only the classes, and the build scripts were set up to reflect that.

Dan.