+1

Kim

On 9/2/2014 9:32 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Monday September 15.

A) The 10.12 release notes will tell users that 10.12 is the last
release which supports Java 6.

B) The 10.13 release will support Java 9, 8, and 7 as well as Java 8
compact profile 2. After releasing 10.12, the development trunk will no
longer support Java 6.

C) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
that branch. We will document this on the wiki.

D) Developers will need to keep in mind the porting implications of
using modern JVM features in code which may need to be reworked to run
on older JVMs. Some explanation will be helpful when exploiting a modern
language feature for the first time.

Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the 10.13
trunk:

I) Removing build support for Java 6.

II) Purging user doc references to Java 6.

We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to user
code.

Further discussion of this proposal can be found on the following email
thread:
http://apache-database.10148.n7.nabble.com/Java-6-vs-7-td141757.html