Hi, all,

I've been working on the Derby user manuals for quite a few years now, but my project assignments have been changing and I won't have time to spend on Derby in the future. New features will continue to be documented, but staffing for fixing bugs will not be available. Therefore, I would like to invite other Derby developers to help with fixing documentation issues.

I've spent the past few days weeding out these issues so that the ones left are all legitimate (I think), though not all solvable at present -- some depend on a software fix, others on updating our tools.

Instructions on how to work with the documentation are on the Derby web site (http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html) under "DITA Source" and "Writing Guidelines." They are mostly current, though there's an issue requesting some updates (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5182).

A number of you have worked with the documentation before, and I will be happy to answer questions from any of you, whether you're new to the docs or just a bit rusty. I know you're all committed to maintaining the quality of the manuals, so I hope we can preserve it.

Thanks very much!

Kim Haase