Hi Kristian,

I just looked at the patch quickly, and it solves the problem in the same way I was thinking about. I will try it out. Any specific reason why the patch is not attached to DERBY-623 in Jira?

Two lazy reasons: 1) The JIRA itself doesn't have a test case. The problem only comes up in the context of other JIRAs where you are creating a new test. It's the new test which proves the fix works. 2) I haven't run derbyall against this yet so I was reluctant to clip the fix to a JIRA.

Also, the issue description indicates that there are already methods for reading system properties in privileged blocks "in the engine". Can anyone familiar with the code give a hint?

I would like to see this bug fixed, and I am willing to put some work into it (review, or possibly fix patch to use existing functionality), unless someone else has the itch for it. I suppose another part of the fix would be to remove the extra PropertyPermissions from the test security policy.

Thank you. I can commit when you're ready.