Hi David,

No, it's a bit assymetrical. Thanks for reminding me that I need to update this JIRA with some practical tips about how to answer that question.

Regards,
-Rick

David Van Couvering wrote:

Thanks, Rick, great summary. Do these apply equally to the network client and embedded driver?

David

Rick Hillegas (JIRA) wrote:

JDBC4 Compliance
----------------

         Key: DERBY-1281
     Project: Derby
        Type: Improvement

Components: JDBC Versions: 10.2.0.0 Reporter: Rick Hillegas
     Fix For: 10.2.0.0

Here is my analysis of where we currently fall short of JDBC4 compliance, based on my reading of the current draft revision of the JDBC4 Compliance chapter. I will break this into subtasks.

Comparison of Derby to early May sneak preview of the JDBC4 Compliance Chapter:

6.1 Definitions

Just a recital of definitions.

6.2

Supported:

- Entry level SQL 92
- Escape syntax
- Transactions
- Driver access to all documented Derby features
- SQLFeatureNotSupportedException thrown for unimplemented optional features
- Agreement between DatabaseMetaData and actual feature set

6.3 JDBC 4.0 API Compliance

Supported:

- Supports a ResultSet type of TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY
- Supports a ResultSet concurrency of CONCUR_READ_ONLY
- Supports batch updates
- Fully implements the following interfaces:
  * java.sql.Driver
  * java.sql.DatabaseMetaData
  * java.sql.ParameterMetaData
  * java.sql.ResultSetMetaData
  * java.sql.Wrapper
  * javax.sql.DataSource

Unsupported:

- The following java.sql.Connection methods:
  * getClientInfo()
  * getClientInfo(java.lang.String)
  * setClientInfo(java.lang.String,java.lang.String)

- The following java.sql.Statement methods:
  * cancel()

- The following java.sql.PreparedStatement methods:
  * setUnicodeStream(int,java.io.InputStream,int)

- The following java.sql.CallableStatement methods:
  * getBlob(int)
  * getClob(int)

- The following java.sql.ResultSet methods:
  * getUnicodeStream(int)
  * getUnicodeStream(java.lang.String)

- The following java.sql.Blob methods:
  * java.sql.Blob.setBytes(long,byte[])
  * setBytes(long,byte[],int,int)
  * getBinaryStream(long,long)
  * setBinaryStream(long)
  * truncate(long)

- The following java.sql.Clob methods:
  * setString(long,java.lang.String)
  * setString(long,java.lang.String,int,int)
  * setAsciiStream(long)
  * getCharacterStream(long,long)
  * setCharacterStream(long)
  * truncate(long)

6.4 Java EE JDBC Compliance

Supported:

- escape functions concat, substring, locate, length,
   abs, sqrt, mod.
- executeUpdate() works for calling procedures via
  escape syntax.

Unsupported:

- OUT parameters not supported for these datatypes: BLOB, CLOB
- executeQuery() does NOT work for calling procedures via escape syntax.

IN ACTIVE DEVELOPMENT

- The following java.sql.Connection methods:
  * Brokered class forwarding:
    - isValid(int)
    - createQueryObject(java.lang.Class)
    - getClientInfo()
    - getClientInfo(java.lang.String)
    - setClientInfo(java.lang.String,java.lang.String)
  * LOB improvements:
    - createBlob()
    - createClob()

- The following java.sql.Statement methods:
  * Brokered class forwarding:
    - isClosed()
    - cancel()

- The following java.sql.PreparedStatement methods:
  * Brokered class forwarding:
    - setUnicodeStream(int,java.io.InputStream,int)
    - setBlob(int,java.io.InputStream,long)
    - setClob(int,java.io.Reader,long)

- The following java.sql.CallableStatement methods:
  * Brokered class forwarding:
    - getBlob(int)
    - getClob(int)

- The following java.sql.Blob methods: